European History of Montague Island

European History of Montague Island – Sapphire Coast NSW

Although first sighted by Captain Cook in 1770, it wasn’t until the second fleet sailed past in 1790, that a proper name of the island was given. The island was named Montague Island, by the master of the merchant ship “Surprize”, named after the George Montagu-Dunk, 2nd Earl of Halifax


View Larger Map

European History – Montague Island – Sapphire Coast, New South Wales

The lighthouse on Montague Island was established to protect coastal shipping. In 1880, ironically as the light house was being built, the vessel ‘Lady Darling’ stuck the reefs at Aughinish Rock, 3 kms south of Montague island. The crew abandoned ship and rowed to nearby Montague Island where they were rescued by those working on the Lighthouse. (This occurred the same day Ned Kelly was hung in Melbourne)

The lighthouse was first lit in 1881, and then converted to a fully automated system in 1986, it remains a part of our coastal navigation system and nautical history.


Fishing at BermaguiChartered Fishing Trips around Bermagui